2014 Novella Prize
The Malahat Review, Canada’s premier literary magazine, invites entries from Canada, the United States, and elsewhere for the Novella Prize. One prize of $1,500 CAD is awarded. Previous winning entries have also won or been nominated for National Magazine Awards for Fiction and the O. Henry Prize. The Novella Prize is offered every second year, alternating with The Malahat Review’s Long Poem Prize.
The deadline for the 2014 Novella Prize is February 1, 2014 (postmark date).
Read about our 2012 winner.
- Enter a single work of fiction, with a minimum length of 10,000 words and maximum length 20,000 words. No restrictions as to genre, subject matter, or aesthetic approach apply. Please double space your work.
- Entry fee required:
- $35 CAD for Canadian entries
- $40 US for American entries
- $45 US for entries from Mexico and outside North America
- Entrants receive a one-year subscription to The Malahat Review for themselves or a friend.
- Entries already published, accepted, or submitted elsewhere are ineligible.
- An entry may include a published excerpt only if it consists of no more than 10% of the total word count. The entrant must indicate where the exerpt originally appeared, how long it is, and where it begins and ends within the entry.
- Previous publication is considered to be any appearance in print or online, including on or in a newspaper, newsletter, magazine, anthology, chapbook, book, website, electronic magazine, personal blog, Twitter, or Facebook. Please note that even if the print run or circulation of the print publication where the work has previously appeared is small, this is still considered previous publication. No work that has been excerpted elsewhere is eligible for submission; nor is a work that has been revised since its original publication.
- Entrants’ anonymity is preserved throughout the judging. Contact information (including an email address) should not appear on the submission, but along with the title on an enclosed separate page.
- No submissions will be accepted by email.
- No entries will be returned.
- Entrants will not be notified separately by letter about the judges’ decisions even if a SASE is included for this purpose.
- The winner and finalists will be notified via email.
- The winner and finalists will be announced on the Malahat web site and facebook page, in April 2014.
- Only the winning novella will be published in The Malahat Review's Summer, 2014 issue.
- The winner will be interviewed. The interview will appear on The Malahat's web site and in Malahat lite, the magazine's monthly electronic newsletter, in June 2014.
- Send entries and enquiries to:
The Malahat Review
University of Victoria
P.O. Box 1700
Victoria, B.C. V8W 2Y2
How To Pay
- All entries must be mailed. See guidelines.
- You can pay online or mail your payment with your entry.
- Please enclose your receipt with your contest entry so we can identify your online payment.
Pay by Mail
- By Cheque or Money Order: Enclose a cheque or money order, made out to The Malahat Review, in Canadian or US funds with your entry.
- By Credit Card: Complete our Credit Card Payment Form and enclose it with your entry.
Previous Novella Prize Winners